Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Monday/Wednesday class

I presented with Joelle in class, which I though went well. While trying to come up with the idea I thought about how I could be different from the other groups. I did not just want to get up and show a youtube video. I must say I am a fan of youtube though. The two excerpts we used made the class think back to the book.

The excerpt I wrote about is the one I found and wanted to include in discussion and writings with the class. When going back a reading that it meant more the second time around. The visual image of his friend Saidu dead in ground puts a whole new spin on war for Beah. I liked the idea that someone brought up in class about how Beah realized that the war wasn’t the only thing that kills you. Someone else said it might not have even been the bird that killed him.

The Art Museum field trip was fun. I had been to the museum a few times before but for a specific reason. This time the tour guide helped me see and think about certain works of art differently. The African mask from Beah culture was interesting. The face was one of the smallest things on the mask. The hair was what I noticed most about the mask. I did not realize that the mask had eyeholes until someone else mentioned it.

1 comment:

  1. Your questions this week were terrific! I thought it was interesting that much of the class just sat for a few minutes to think before writing. That shows me that they were being as thoughtful about their responses as you and Joelle were about crafting the questions. This helped us think more deeply about what we read.

    ReplyDelete