I find it interesting learning about how writers putting certain details, in areas make an impact on the story. Beah's writing style reminds me of someone who has all these memories and is telling someone as they come along. I think all memories good or bad can be triggered the present. I have never really thought about a writer having a certain style and why they do certain things such as going from the actual story to telling the reader about a dream. I actually didn't realize what that chapter was about until we discussed it in class.
I overlook the short chapters in novels sometimes when they are actually saying or describing something important. I am learning to ask or rather wonder why books are written for just other the explaining what is written in them. College English classes challenge me to think about things more in depth and ask why certain things happen, such as in books.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI've learned more about my own writing by reading the work of others. Ishmael Beah's book, for example, reminds me that I can choose a different writing voice than my current self. Or I can move back and forth between voices as the subject matter calls for. I'm learning, for example, to distinguish between his child's voice and when he is writing using the style and language from his older self. Seeing someone else make those choices reminds me that there is always something new for me to try with my own writing.
ReplyDelete